Senior Staff Accountant
Mandate of the Team
The Accounting team builds relationships with clients and ensures their accounting needs are being met in a consistent and professional manner that inspires confidence and trust. The team contributes to the long-term financial stability of the Firm through building relationships and growing revenue.
Purpose of the Role
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for the preparation and documentation of financial statements and income tax returns for compilation and assurance engagements at a senior-level.
Applying for this role
To apply for this role, please send your resume and cover letter to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates for their interest in joining our team. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The following is a list of the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. The tasks and the time spent performing each task may vary depending on the budget allocation and client’s situation. Allay LLP maintains the right to modify job duties and responsibilities at its discretion.
- Prepare complex notice to readers, T1, T2 and T3 income tax returns including documentation of supporting working papers
- Planning and/or preparation of assurance engagements (i.e. audits or reviews)
- Preparation of various related tax matters including T4 and T5 memo preparation/support, T1-OVP, income tax estimates, notice of objections and T2054/T2062C filings
- Organize information to facilitate easy review with minimal changes by Managers and/or Partners
- Liaise with clients to obtain information, respond to inquiries and communicate results in an easy to understand manner
- Communicate and respond to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requests in connection with CRA’s review of a client’s tax matters
- Assist Junior Team Members with question pertaining to technical and administrative tasks and provide support with the CPA process facilitate their growth and knowledge
- Communicate with external stakeholders and third-party vendors via in-person meetings, by phone and / or email correspondence
- Completion of work assigned within budget and discuss with senior team members where preassigned budgets may not be met in advance of budget overrun
- Provide suggestions to Senior Team Members for efficiencies in file preparation process and identify tax planning opportunities and/or non-accounting/tax issues which may be of a client’s interest
- Keep up to date on professional standard changes and ensure professional development hours met per CPA requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Team members who may not possess all the requirements for a job at the time of hire are expected to attain the missing skills, knowledge and abilities required within a specified time as agreed upon, in writing, with the Partners. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Characteristic and Ability Requirements
- Communicate with clients to understand and service their needs
- Strong financial acumen and auditing practices
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Manages multiple tasks under time constraints
- Ability to liaise with individuals at all levels effectively including internal and external parties
- Ability to manage stress and deal with challenging situations
- Deals with sensitive and confidential matters with diplomacy, tact and discretion
- Works well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work extended hours during busy season and/or month end deadlines
- Proactive in assisting Junior Team Member’s growth and knowledge
Educational and Training Requirements
Education Required: Bachelor of Business Administration, Commerce or related degree or diploma program specializing in accounting stream
Certification Required: CPA designation
Training Required: N/A
Other Education / Certification / Training preferred: Working towards/completed in-depth CPA
course and/or Society of Trust and Estate Practitioner or other CPA specialized designations
Work Experience Requirements
Work experience required: Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a Staff Accounting role
Job related experience required: Minimum of three (3) years of experience in an accounting firm
Software: Beginner CCH Document, Microsoft Office, DT Practice Advanced Caseware and Taxprep, Adobe PDF
Equipment: Phone lines, voicemail system, fax and photocopier
Other: Digital, online and virtual platforms
- Accountability – sets standards of performance for self and contribution as a team member; accepts full responsibility and accountability for successfully completing tasks accurately and within defined timelines by managing one’s time and resources; encourages others to take responsibility.
- Builds Relationships – identifies opportunities to build relationships with clients and/or key stakeholders.
- Builds Trust and Respect – treats people with dignity, respect, and fairness; listens to others and considers opinions and ideas; shares thoughts, feelings, and rationale for decisions made, operates with integrity.
- Client Service Excellence – dedicated to discovering the needs of internal and external clients and figuring out how to best meet their expectations and requirements in a manner that provides satisfaction for the client and fosters client loyalty.
- Collaboration – promotes cooperation between team members by committing to a positive attitude, actively listening, being genuine, valuing others’ points of view, supporting and recognizing successes, providing feedback and responding to the team member’s needs; while ensuring conflicts are addressed quickly to ensure positive relationships.
- Commitment to Learning – demonstrates a commitment to learning by proactively seeking opportunities to develop new capabilities, skills and knowledge; acquires the skills needed to continually enhance their contribution to the Firm and their respective position.
- Communication – conveys and shares information and ideas clearly to ensure effectiveness of the Firm; effectively communicates by adjusting style, tone and level of detail appropriate to the audience and occasion.
- Develops Talent – inspires, influences, coaches and engages a group of individuals towards the common achievement of the Firm’s objectives and actively encourages their own and others’ development.
- Ethics and Integrity – safeguards the information of clients and ensures the highest standard of ethical behaviour and integrity for work performed, considers accounting principles in all work performed and brings forward issues or concerns to appropriate individuals.
This position requires a low level of physical exertion. Occasional lifting of up to ten (10) pounds (4.54 kg). Significant intensity of sensory effort is required.
There is a low risk of exposure to adverse working conditions. Ability to travel to client locations within the GTA.Back to job opportunities